Although your little one might not remember it, baby’s first Christmas is a special time for any parent. It’s a perfect chance to carry on family traditions and start new ones of your own. We’ve put together some ideas for family Christmas traditions, as well as some great baby first Christmas gift ideas.
First Christmas Ideas
Christmas becomes even more special when you have kids, and you can define your very own set of festive traditions. Does your family always wear Christmas jumpers to open presents? Does your partner’s family not go a year without a special Christmas breakfast? It’s fun to take your favourite parts of these traditions and combine them with new ones to create a set of traditions that are unique to your new little family. Here are some of our favourite ideas:
- Create a Christmas card with your baby’s photo. It’s a great way for all your loved ones to remember baby’s first Christmas, even if they’re not spending the special day with you. And, if you do it every year, it will become the perfect way to document your baby’s progress over time.
- Choose a beautiful stocking that your little one can keep forever. Either knit your own or get this adorable Rudolph stocking, which comes with a soft Rudolph rattle.
- Begin a tradition of watching a festive film every Christmas Eve. Choose a Christmas classic which both parents and baby can enjoy, like It’s a Wonderful Life or Love Actually, or go for a baby-friendly film such as Barbie in The Nutcracker.
- A really cute tradition is to make up a Christmas Eve box, full of everything they’ll need for the big day. You could include a pair of festive pyjamas and slippers to keep their toes cosy. As they get older, you could add Christmas sweets and activities to keep them busy on Christmas morning.
- Buy or make a keepsake bauble for your Christmas tree, personalised for your little one. It’s something special to remember their very first Christmas by, and they’ll love looking at it in years to come.
- Write a letter to your baby, describing the day they were born and how you prepared for their birth, as well as telling them all about what toys and books they love and what milestones they’ve reached by their very first Christmas. Save your annual letter in a beautiful box, and both you and your child will enjoy opening them up and reading them when they’re older.
- Make sure to get a photograph of your baby with Santa! Write the year on the back of the print – it’s another great way of documenting how much your child changes over the years. You could even put all the photos in a special album as a special Christmas gift when they reach 10 or 12 years old.
Although your little one won’t remember their first Christmas, you’ll still want to buy them some special gifts. We’ve come up with some great ideas for Christmas gifts for babies, ranging from practical baby essentials to keepsakes they will treasure for many Christmases to come.
This beautiful Winnie the Pooh set contains four beautifully illustrated books, which your baby will treasure for years to come. Presented in a lovely box, this little gift set makes the perfect baby first Christmas gift.
What better way to remember baby’s first Christmas than with this adorable keepsake? The magic keepsake box contains everything you need to make a moulded token of baby’s hand or foot. They’ll be amazed when they look back on it in years to come at how tiny they once were!
Baby will adore this cute Peppa Pig blanket, which is perfect for cold winter days. It’s machine washable and able to withstand sticky fingers and spillages, and soft against baby’s skin, making it the perfect comforter.
Perfect for slightly older babies, this huggable bear from Bright Starts will delight your little one and engage their senses. Babies can push Cookie’s paws to learn about numbers, shapes and much more – and his light up tummy is sure to bring fun and giggles into baby’s day.
Exclusive to Babies R Us, these colourful blocks are a great way to get baby building. Baby will have hours of fun filling the bucket with blocks, sorting shapes and much more, whilst improving their hand-eye co-ordination and grouping skills.
Toys with multi-sensory features are perfect for baby’s first Christmas, and this Garden Patch Pals set fits the bill perfectly. They’ll love the colourful Wiggly Butterfly, Rattling Caterpillar and variety of textures in the soft blanket.
Make a splash at bath time with these cute underwater critters. Baby will soon love bath time, so they can have fun squirting water from the whale, lobster, octopus and submarine.
If your baby has started taking their first tentative steps, then this walker from Bruin would make the ideal gift from Santa. Exclusively available at Toys R Us, it’s a fantastic developmental toy that grows with your baby, transforming into a ride-on when they’ve mastered walking!
This knitted blanket is perfect for wrapping baby up in the chilly winter weather, and will make a beautiful keepsake of your first Christmas with baby. It even comes with a soft Rudolph rattle.
If your baby is a really tiny tot, this cute Slumber Buddy Bee will soothe them to sleep with five meditative songs and nature sounds, as well as a starry sky display which can be projected on the walls of baby’s room.
Cuddle robes are an essential for any baby, so why not stuff their stocking with these cute B is for Bear ones? With extra soft towelling, they’ll keep your little one cosy after bath time.
This adorable snowman hat is perfect for baby’s first Christmas! They’ll stay snug whilst out and about, and you can take plenty of keepsake photographs of them looking cute as a snowman.
Take Christmas as an opportunity to stock up on baby essentials, such as bibs. These soft jersey cotton bibs will mop up dribbles and spillages whilst keeping baby looking cool.
Make teething more comfortable for baby with this cute Peppa Pig teether, made from baby soft plush with three textured teethers. It also contains a squeaker to keep baby entertained and distracted, and a clip to attach it to strollers, baby seats or changing bags.
As a parent, you’ll know how many clothes your baby can go through. Fill their very first stocking with these cute star print bodysuits and make your laundry load lighter! Designed to be durable and long-lasting, they can be washed over and over again.